Search Swinburne Research Bank
This object has not yet been indexed by the background indexing service.
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/84500
- Gabor neural network based facial expression recognition for assistive speech expression
- Lau, Bee Theng
- This research focuses on utilizing the biometrics recognition to trigger the speech expresser. Our selected biometric is facial expression. Though CPC have no verbal language ability, they have facial expression ability that can be interpreted to relate to their voice speech needs. However facial expression of a CPC may not be exactly identical at all times. Furthermore CPC are unique and require special speech profiles. After a thorough research in face recognition and artificial intelligence domain, neural network coupled with Gabor feature extraction is found to outperform others. A Neural Network with Gabor filters is built to train the facial expression classifiers. This research has proven successful to help CPC to express their voice speech through software with 98% successful facial recognition rate.
- Publication type
- Conference paper
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Sarawak Campus
- Lecture notes in computer science: proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Advances in Neuro-Information Processing (ICONIP 2008), Auckland, New Zealand, 25-28 November/ M. Koeppen, N. Kasabov, G. Coghill (eds.), Vol. 5507, pp. 591-598
- Publication year
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2009 Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg.