Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles All-optical switching and nonlinear optical properties of HBT in ethanol solution
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/85172
- All-optical switching and nonlinear optical properties of HBT in ethanol solution
- Zheng, Jia-Jin; Zhang, Gui-Lan; Guo, Yang-Xue; Li, Xiang-Ping; Chen, Wen-Ju
- This paper demonstrates an all-optical switching model system comprising a single pulsed pump beam at 355 nm and a CW He-Ne signal beam at 632.8 nm with 2-(2'-hydroxyphenyl)benzothiazole (HBT) in ethanol solution. The origins of the optical switching effect were discussed. By the study of nonlinear optical properties for HBT in ethanol solvent, this paper verified that the excited-state intramolecular proton transfer (ESIPT) effect of HBT and the thermal effect of solvent worked on quite different time scales and together induced the change of the refractive index of HBT solution, leading to the signal beam deflection. The results indicated that the HBT molecule could be an excellent candidate for high-speed and high-sensitive optical switching devices.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Chinese Physics, Vol. 16, no. 4 (Apr 2007), pp. 1047-1051
- Publication year
- 2-(2'-hydroxyphenyl) benzothiazole; All-optical switching; ESIPT; Excited-state intramolecular proton transfer; HBT; Nonlinear optical properties
- Institute of Physics Publishing
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2007 Chinese Physical Society and IOP Publishing Ltd.
- Peer reviewed