Home List of Titles Fabrication of Al-based bulk metallic glass by mechanical alloying and vacuum hot consolidation
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/88800
- Fabrication of Al-based bulk metallic glass by mechanical alloying and vacuum hot consolidation
- Wei, Xiu; Han, Fusheng; Wang, Xingfu; Wen, Cui'e
- The Al75N10Ti10Zr5 bulk amorphous alloys have been synthesized by mechanical alloying and vacuum hot pressing. The as-milled powders and hot pressed samples were examined by X-ray diffraction, scanning electron microscopy, transmission electron microscopy, and differential scanning calorimetry. The Al75Ni10Ti10Zr5 amorphous powders with a high crystallization temperature of 790 K and a large supercooled liquid region of 49 K were prepared by ball milling elemental powder mixtures for 110 h. The bulk Al75Ni10Ti10Zr5 amorphous alloy was prepared by hot pressing at 733 K for 20 min under a pressure of 3 GPa. The Kissinger analysis indicated that the bulk metallic glasses exhibit high thermal stability. The Vickers microhardness of the bulk samples is in the range of 790-850 HV. The crack paths surrounding the indents of all these samples emanate from the indent corners, indicating that the propagation of cracks occurred by radiation.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Vol. 501, no. 1 (Jul 2010), pp. 164-167
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0912 Materials Engineering; 0914 Resources Engineering and Extractive Metallurgy
- Al-based alloy; Bulk metallic glass; Mechanical alloying; Thermal stability; Vacuum hot pressing
- Elsevier BV
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2010 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
- Peer reviewed