Home List of Titles Plastic deformation in a partially crystallized Zr-based BMG under Vickers indenter
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/88792
- Plastic deformation in a partially crystallized Zr-based BMG under Vickers indenter
- Xie, Haowen; Li, Yuncang; Liao, Shuzhi; Hodgson, Peter; Wen, Cui'e
- Vickers indentations were carried out on an anneal-introduced partially crystallized Zr41Ti14Cu12.5Ni10Be22.5 bulk metallic glass (BMG), and the evolution of the shear bands in this sample was investigated and compared to the as-cast, as well as the structurally relaxed counterparts. The results indicate that the plastic deformation in the partially crystallized BMG was accommodated by the semi-circular (primary) and radial (secondary) shear bands. A full crack or flake that was produced due to the spring back during the load removal was observed. The shear band density in the annealed alloy which was dispersed with crystallites was significantly lower than that of the as-cast alloy. The difference of the shear band features among the three kinds of alloy status, i.e., partially crystallized, structurally relaxed and as-cast alloys was discussed in terms of the free volume in the BMGs and the characteristics of nano-composites. It has been demonstrated that the plasticity for the three statuses of alloys queues in the descending order as the as-cast, annealed with partial crystallization, and annealed without crystallization.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Vol. 484, no. 1-2 (Sep 2009), pp. 886-890
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0912 Materials Engineering; 0914 Resources Engineering and Extractive Metallurgy
- Amorphous materials; Crystal growth; Thermal analysis; X-ray diffraction
- Elsevier BV
- Publisher URL
- Crown Copyright © 2009 Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
- Peer reviewed