Search Swinburne Research Bank
This object has not yet been indexed by the background indexing service.
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/1822
- The H I Parkes all sky survey: southern observations, calibration and robust imaging
- Barnes, David G.; Haynes, Ray F.; Staveley-Smith, Lister; De Blok, W.J.; Oosterloo, Tom; Calabretta, M. R.; Disney, Michael J.; Drinkwater, Michael J.; Ekers, Ron D.; Freeman, Ken C.; Gibson, Brad K.; Green, Anne J.; Te Lintel Hekkert, P.; Knezek, Patricia M.; Henning, Patricia A.; Jerjen, Helmut; Juraszek, S.; Kesteven, Michael J.; Kilborn, Virginia A.; Koribalski, Baerbel S.; Kraan-Korteweg, Rene C.; Malin, David F.; Webster, R. L.; Wilson, Warwick E.; Ye, T.; Stewart, Ian M.; Wright, Alan E.; Banks, Gareth D.; Bhathal, Raghir; Boyce, Peter J.; Sadler, Elaine M.; Ryder, Stuart D.; Putman, Mary E.; Price, R. M.; Mould, Jeremy R.; Minchin, Robert F.; Marquarding, Malte; Schroder, A.; Stootman, Frank
- The acquisition of H i Parkes All Sky Survey (HIPASS) southern sky data commenced at the Australia Telescope National Facility's Parkes 64-m telescope in 1997 February, and was completed in 2000 March. HIPASS is the deepest H i survey yet of the sky south of declination +2°, and is sensitive to emission out to 170 h751 Mpc. The characteristic root mean square noise in the survey images is 13.3 mJy. This paper describes the survey observations, which comprise 23 020 eight-degree scans of 9-min duration, and details the techniques used to calibrate and image the data. The processing algorithms are successfully designed to be statistically robust to the presence of interference signals, and are particular to imaging point (or nearly point) sources. Specifically, a major improvement in image quality is obtained by designing a median-gridding algorithm which uses the median estimator in place of the mean estimator.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Centre for Astrophysics and Supercomputing
- Monthly Notices of The Royal Astronomical Society, Vol. 322, no. 3 (Apr 2001), pp. 486-498
- Publication year
- Blackwell Science
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2001 RAS.