Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles Celeribacter neptunius gen. nov., sp. nov., a new member of the class Alphaproteobacteria
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/90115
- Celeribacter neptunius gen. nov., sp. nov., a new member of the class Alphaproteobacteria
- Ivanova, Elena P.; Webb, Hayden; Christen, Richard; Zhukova, Natalia V.; Kurilenko, Valeriya V.; Kalinovskaya, Nataliya I.; Crawford, Russell J.
- A whitish Gram-negative, motile, aerobic bacterium, designated strain H 14T, was isolated from seawater collected at St Kilda beach in Port Phillip Bay, Melbourne, Australia. Analysis of 16S rRNA gene sequences revealed that the organism belonged to the Roseobacter lineage of the class Alphaproteobacteria, forming a distinct evolutionary lineage at the genus level. Strain H 14T was distantly related to the genera Nautella, Ruegeria and Pseudoruegeria (family Rhodobacteraceae). Strain H 14T was unable to degrade gelatin, casein, chitin, agar and starch, did not produce any carotenoids, did not possess bacteriochlorophyll a and had a limited ability to utilize carbon sources. Strain H 14T grew with concentrations of 1–8 % (w/v) NaCl and over a temperature range of 5–35 °C. Phosphatidylglycerol was the major phospholipid (90 %); phosphatidylcholine (7.9 %) and phosphatidylethanolamine (2.0 %) were present in minor quantities. The predominant fatty acids were C18 : 17c (82.4 %), C18 : 19c (5.1 %) and C18 : 0 (3.8 %). The DNA G+C composition for strain H 14T was 59.1 mol%. Based on the results of physiological, biochemical, chemotaxonomic and phylogenetic investigations, a new genus, Celeribacter gen. nov., with the type species Celeribacter neptunius sp. nov. is proposed. The type strain of the type species is H 14T (=KMM 6012T=CIP 109922T).
- Publication type
- Journal article
- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology, Vol. 60, no. 7 (Jul 2010), pp. 1620-1625
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0603 Evolutionary Biology; 0605 Microbiology; 1108 Medical Microbiology
- Aerobic bacterium; Alphaproteobacteria; Celeribacter neptunius gen. nov., sp. nov.
- Society for General Microbiology
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2010.
- Peer reviewed