Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles Mean-field study of itinerant ferromagnetism in trapped ultracold Fermi gases: beyond the local-density approximation
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/90099
|Download PDF (Published version) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, -1 bytes)|
- Mean-field study of itinerant ferromagnetism in trapped ultracold Fermi gases: beyond the local-density approximation
- Dong, H.; Hu, Hui; Liu, Xia-Ji; Drummond, Peter D.
- We theoretically investigate the itinerant ferromagnetic transition of a spherically trapped ultracold Fermi gas with spin imbalance under strongly repulsive interatomic interactions. Our study is based on a self-consistent solution of the Hartree-Fock mean-field equations beyond the widely used local-density approximation. We demonstrate that, while the local-density approximation holds in the paramagnetic phase, after the ferromagnetic transition it leads to a quantitative discrepancy in various thermodynamic quantities even with large atom numbers. We determine the position of the phase transition by monitoring the shape change of the free-energy curve with increasing the polarization at various interaction strengths.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Faculty of Engineering and Industrial Sciences. Centre for Atom Optics and Ultrafast Spectroscopy
- Physical Review A: Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics, Vol. 82, no. 1 (Jul 2010), paper no. 013627
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0202 Atomic, Molecular, Nuclear, Particle and Plasma Physics; 0204 Condensed Matter Physics; 0205 Optical Physics
- Itinerant ferromagnetism; Local-density approximation; Ultracold Fermi gases
- American Physical Society
- Publisher URL
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2010 The American Physical Society. Published version of the paper reproduced here with the kind permission of the publisher for non-commercial purposes only.
- Research Projects
- Full text
- Peer reviewed