Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/92579
- Numerical simulation of the crushing of foam-filled aluminium tubes
- Durif, E.; Yan, W.; Yamada, Y.; Wen, C.
- A numerical study is presented in this paper to investigate the energy absorption of foam-filled aluminium tubes during a crushing. The post-buckling mode of the foam-tube structures has been successfully simulated. The predicted compressive load-displacement is in a good agreement with experiment results. The energy absorption ability of the composite structure due to plastic deformation in a crushing process is evaluated by comparison with the tube structure without foam. The results indicate that the energy absorption of a foam-filled tube structure is superior to the tube without foam.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Key Engineering Materials: Advances in Composite Materials and Structures: proceedings of the 5th Asian-Australasian Conference on Composite Materials (AACM-5), Hong Kong, 27-30 November 2006 / J. K. Kim, D. Z. Wo, L. M. Zhou, H. T. Huang, K. T. Lau and M. Wang (eds.), Vol. 334-335 (2007), pp. 629-632
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0912 Materials Engineering; 2101 Archaeology
- Aluminium foam; Crashworthiness; Crushing; Energy absorption
- Trans Tech Publications
- 9780878494279, 0878494278
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2007 Trans Tech Publications.
- Peer reviewed