Home List of Titles Survey for galaxies associated with z ~ 3 damped lyα systems I: spectroscopic calibration of u′ BVRI photometric selection
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/95274
- Survey for galaxies associated with z ~ 3 damped lyα systems I: spectroscopic calibration of u′ BVRI photometric selection
- Cooke, Jeff; Wolfe, Arthur M.; Prochaska, Jason X.; Gawiser, Eric
- We present a survey of z ~ 3 Lyman break galaxies (LBGs) associated with damped Lyα systems (DLAs) with the primary purpose of determining the DLA-LBG cross-correlation. This paper describes the acquisition and analysis of imaging and spectroscopic data of nine quasar fields having 11 known z ~ 3 DLAs covering an area of 465 arcmin2. Using deep u′ BVRI images, 796 LBG candidates up to an apparent RAB magnitude of 25.5 were photometrically selected from 17,343 sources detected in the field. Spectroscopic observations of 529 LBG candidates using the Keck Low Resolution Imaging Spectrometer yielded 339 redshifts. We have conservatively identified 211 z > 2 objects with (z) = 3.02 ± 0.32. We discuss our method of z ~ 3 LBG identification and present a model of the u′ BVRI photometric selection function. We use the 339 spectra to evaluate our u′ BVRI z ∼ 3 Lyman break photometric selection technique.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Astrophysical Journal, Vol. 621, no. 2 I (Mar 2005), pp. 596-614
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0201 Astronomical and Space Sciences
- Absorption lines; Galaxy formation; Galaxy photometry; High redshift galaxies; Quasars
- University of Chicago Press
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2005 The American Astronomical Society. All rights reserved. The American Astronomical Society does not allow institutions to archive either the accepted manuscript or the published version of the article. However, you can find an earlier version of the full text here: http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0411681.
- Peer reviewed