Home List of Titles The UCSD/Keck damped Lyα abundance database: a decade of high-resolution spectroscopy
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/95247
- The UCSD/Keck damped Lyα abundance database: a decade of high-resolution spectroscopy
- Prochaska, Jason X.; Wolfe, Arthur M.; Howk, J. Christopher; Gawiser, Eric; Burles, Scott M.; Cooke, Jeff
- We publish the Keck/HIRES and Keck/ESI spectra that we have obtained during the first 10 years of Keck observatory operations. Our full sample includes 42 HIRES spectra and 39 ESI spectra along 65 unique sight lines providing abundance measurements on ≈85 DLA systems. The normalized data can be downloaded from the journal or from our supporting Web site. The database includes all of the sight lines that have been included in our papers on the chemical abundances, kinematics, and metallicities of the damped Lya systems. This data has also been used to argue for variations in the fine-structure constant. We present new chemical abundance measurements for 10 damped Lya systems and a summary table of high-resolution metallicity measurements (including values from the literature) for 153 damped Lya systems at z > 1.6. We caution, however, that this metallicity sample (and all previous ones) is biased to higher NHI values than a random sample.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Astrophysical Journal Supplement Series, Vol. 171, no. 1 (Jul 2007), pp. 29-60
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0201 Astronomical and Space Sciences
- Absorption lines; Quasars
- University of Chicago Press
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2007 The American Astronomical Society. All rights reserved. The American Astronomical Society does not allow institutions to archive either the accepted manuscript or the published version of the article. However, you can find an earlier version of the full text here: http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0702325.
- Peer reviewed