Home List of Titles Performance of tall reinforced concrete chimney structures in the 2010 Chilean earthquake
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/152176
|Download PDF (Published version) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, 1 MB)|
- Performance of tall reinforced concrete chimney structures in the 2010 Chilean earthquake
- Wilson, John L.
- This paper describes the performance of four tall reinforced concrete chimneys which were subject to significant ground shaking during the 2010 Mw8.8 Chilean earthquake event. The chimneys were all recently constructed using the 'New Chimney Design' where the reinforced concrete chimney is designed for ductility in accordance with the CICIND code and the internal face is directly lined with the 'Pennguard Block' lining system. Such chimneys are expected to perform well under seismic loading due to their ductile behaviour and lightweight lining. Overall the 'New Chimney Design' performed very well under extreme earthquake ground shaking. The two northern power station chimneys of height 95m were subject to ground shaking with a PGV in the order of 100mm/sec, whilst the two southern power station chimneys of height 130m and 100m were located directly within the fault rupture zone region, with PGV in the order of 200-250mm/sec. All chimneys performed very well, with either no cracking or minor circumferential cracks with a maximum thickness of around 0.2mm. The paper provides an overview of the expected ground motion in the form of response spectra and compares the predicted and actual response behaviour of the chimney structures.
- Publication type
- Conference paper
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Faculty of Engineering and Industrial Sciences
- Proceedings of the 19th Annual Conference of the Australian Earthquake Engineering Society (AEES), Perth, Western Australia, Australia, 26-28 November 2010 / Kevin McCue and Sharon Anderson (eds.)
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0905 Civil Engineering; 090504 Earthquake Engineering; 090506 Structural Engineering
- 21st century earthquakes; Chilean earthquake (2010); CICIND; Concrete chimneys; Ductile chimneys; Earthquake performance; Flue liners; Reinforced concrete chimneys; Seismic performance
- Australian Earthquake Engineering Society
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2010 Australian Earthquake Engineering Society. Published version of the paper reproduced here with the kind permission of the publisher.
- Full text
- Peer reviewed