Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles A review of preparation, properties and applications of rare earth magnetic thin films
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/152639
- A review of preparation, properties and applications of rare earth magnetic thin films
- Wang, James; Gan, Jo Ann; Wong, Yat Choy; Berndt, C. C.
- This chapter reviews rare-earth magnetic thin films, specifically samarium cobalt and neodymium iron boron, with a brief introduction to their similarities and differences. Understanding the preparation and principles behind magnetic thin films is crucial in evaluating their magnetic performances. In addition to the widely used pulsed laser deposition and magnetron sputtering techniques, new fabrication routes such as tape casting and screen printing that have emerged in the last decade as well as other potential alternatives will also be discussed. Intense research over recent decades has improved the properties of these magnetic thin films to suit various industrial applications from magnetic recording to micro-electro-mechanical system (MEMS) devices. This review critically assesses these research activities and highlights the differences in properties and performance of the magnetic thin films produced by each of these techniques. The practicality of these rare-earth magnetic thin films as an alternative to permanent magnetic thin films has been debated over the years. Therefore, the requirements for each application in terms of magnetic properties, adaptability and environmental stability will be evaluated and rationalized with respect to rare-earth magnetic thin films. The ongoing challenges of preparing Sm-Co and Nd-Fe-B magnetic thin films as well as the inherent limitations are also addressed.
- Publication type
- Book chapter
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Faculty of Engineering and Industrial Sciences. Industrial Research Institute Swinburne
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Faculty of Engineering and Industrial Sciences
- Magnetic thin films: properties, performance and applications / John P. Volkerts (ed.), Chapter 1, pp. 1-69
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 020499 Condensed Matter Physics not elsewhere classified; 091207 Metals and Alloy Materials; 091299 Materials Engineering not elsewhere classified
- Applications; Magnetic thin films; Preparation; Properties; Rare earth
- Nova Science Publishers
- 9781612093024, 1612093027
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2011 by Nova Science Publishers, Inc.
- Peer reviewed