Home List of Titles Bioinformatic studies of the wheat glutaredoxin gene family and functional analysis of the ROXY1 orthologues
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/154175
- Bioinformatic studies of the wheat glutaredoxin gene family and functional analysis of the ROXY1 orthologues
- Ziemann, Mark; Bhave, Mrinal; Zachgo, Sabine
- CC-type glutaredoxins comprise a large land plant-specific class of oxidoreductases. Previous research shows roles for two such proteins in developmental processes in Arabidopsis; ROXY1 mediates petal initiation and morphogenesis, and ROXY1 and ROXY2 are required for normal anther development. In the present work, the broader glutaredoxin family was investigated in hexaploid wheat with bioinformatic methods, revealing a large and multifunctional gene family. With a PCR based method, three wheat ROXY homeoalleles were isolated. Complementation analyses show that these three isoforms fully complemented the roxy1 mutation in Arabidopsis. Further, yeast two-hybrid experiments demonstrate that one such wheat ROXY protein interacts strongly with TGA3, an Arabidopsis TGA transcription factor previously shown to associate with ROXY1. Deletion analyses show that TaROXY-alpha 3 docks to a glutamine rich region of TGA3, a putative transcriptional activation domain. These results suggest a conserved molecular role of Arabidopsis and wheat ROXY proteins in inflorescence/spike development, most likely in the post-translational regulation of TGA proteins including HBP-1b (the wheat PERIANTHIA orthologue), which likely exerts also a developmental function by activating histone gene transcription in highly proliferating tissues such as the SAM and root tip.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Functional Plant Biology, Vol. 38, no. 1 (2011), pp. 25-34
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 060102 Bioinformatics; 060109 Proteomics and Intermolecular Interactions (excl. Medical Proteomics); 0607 Plant Biology; 060702 Plant Cell and Molecular Biology
- CC-type GRX class; GRX; Flower development; ROXY
- CSIRO Publishing
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2011.
- Peer reviewed