Home List of Titles Characterization of bipolar and radial nematic liquid crystal droplets using laser-tweezers
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/155911
- Characterization of bipolar and radial nematic liquid crystal droplets using laser-tweezers
- Murazawa, Naoki; Juodkazis, Saulius; Misawa, Hiroaki
- Bipolar and radial droplets of 4-pentyl-4'-cyanobiphenyl were manipulated using circularly polarized laser-tweezers. Light-induced birefringence arising from orientational nonlinearity was observed and measured for the radial droplets. The highest laser trapping power used 0.5 W induced a birefringence of 0.02 and hence the spinning of the droplets was observed.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 38, no. 16 (Aug 2005), pp. 2923-2927
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 02 Physical Sciences; 09 Engineering
- Bipolar structure; Hydrophobicity; Laser theory; Laser trapping; Laser tweezers; Microstructure; Nematic liquid crystals; Photons; Polarization; Radial droplets; Surface active agents
- Institute of Physics Publishing
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2005 IOP Publishing Ltd.
- Peer reviewed