Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles A Monte Carlo simulation for phonon transport within silicon structures at nanoscales with heat generation
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/156524
- A Monte Carlo simulation for phonon transport within silicon structures at nanoscales with heat generation
- Wong, Basil T.; Francoeur, Mathieu; Pinar Menguc, M.
- Nanoscale phonon transport within silicon structures subjected to internal heat generation was explored. A Monte Carlo simulation was used. The simulation procedures differed from the current existing methods in which phonons below a predefined "reference temperature" were not accounted to reduce memory storage and computational resources. Results indicated that the heat diffusion equation significantly underestimates temperature distribution at nanoscales in the presence of an external heat source. Discussions on temperature distribution inside silicon thin film when heated by a pulsed laser, an electron beam or due to near-field thermal radiation effects were also provided.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Sarawak Campus. School of Engineering, Computing and Science
- International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 54, no. 9-10 (Apr 2011), pp. 1825-1838
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0102 Applied Mathematics; 0910 Manufacturing Engineering; 0913 Mechanical Engineering
- Ballistic transport; Fourier law; Heat diffusion equation; Heat generation; Monte Carlo; Near-field thermal radiation; Phonon transport; Silicon thin film
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2011 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
- Additional information
- The authors acknowledge support from the Kentucky Science and Engineering Foundation (Grant No: KSEF 1147-RDE-009 and Grant No: KSEF-1718-RDE-011) and the FP-7-PEOPLE-IRG-2008 (Grant No: 239382).
- Peer reviewed