Search Swinburne Research Bank
This object has not yet been indexed by the background indexing service.
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/2055
- Antibacterial activity of Australian plant extracts against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) and vancomycin-resistant enterococci (VRE)
- Palombo, Enzo A.; Semple, Susan J.
- Ethanolic extracts of five traditional Australian medicinal plants, previously shown to display antibacterial activity against laboratory strains of the Gram positive bacteria Staphylococcus aureus and Enterococcus faecalis, were investigated for their abilities to inhibit clinical isolates of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) and vancomycin-resistant enterococci (VRE). Using plate-hole diffusion assays, the following results were obtained: (a) extract from the leaves of Eremophila alternifolia (Myoporaceae) showed activity against MRSA; (b) extract from the leaves of Acacia kempeana (Mimosaceae) showed incomplete inhibition of VRE; (c) extracts from the leaves of Amyema quandong (Loranthaceae) and Eremophila duttonii (Myoporaceae) were active against both types of bacteria; (d) extract from the stem base of Lepidosperma viscidum (Cyperaceae) was active against MRSA and exhibited incomplete inhibition of VRE. All active extracts were evaluated using time-kill assays. Most of the extracts showed bactericidal effects and reduced the number of viable cells by 4-6 logs within four hours, while the extracts from Acacia kempeana leaves and Lepidosperma viscidum stem base exhibited bacteriostatic activity against VRE. The extract from the leaves of Eremophila duttonii was the most active and reduced the number of viable cells of MRSA and VRE to undetectable levels within 1 hour.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. School of Engineering and Science Environment and Biotechnology Centre
- Journal of Basic Microbiology, Vol. 42, no. 6 (2002), pp. 444-448
- Publication year
- Wiley - V C H Verlag GmbH
- Copyright © 2002 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim.