Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles Asylum seekers, Willy Wong, and the uses of history: from 2010 to 1962, and back
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/158383
- Asylum seekers, Willy Wong, and the uses of history: from 2010 to 1962, and back
- Neumann, Klaus
- Based on the assumption that an informed debate about Australia's future response to refugees and asylum seekers ought to be underpinned by a well-developed historical awareness, the article discusses the controversy surrounding the deportation of a Chinese illegal immigrant, Willy Wong, in 1962, in order to demonstrate history's potential to contribute to the development of such an awareness.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Australian Historical Studies, Vol. 42, no. 1 (Mar 2011), pp. 126-139
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 2103 Historical Studies
- Asylum seekers; Australia; Australian history; Deportation; Immigration; Immigration policy; White Australia Policy; Wong, Willy
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2011 Taylor & Francis.
- Peer reviewed