Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles Thermo-mechanical properties of a highly filled polymeric composites for Fused Deposition Modeling
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/167120
- Thermo-mechanical properties of a highly filled polymeric composites for Fused Deposition Modeling
- Nikzad, M.; Masood, S. H.; Sbarski, I.
- This paper presents an investigation on thermal and mechanical properties of new metal-particle filled Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS) composites for applications in Fused Deposition Modeling rapid prototyping process. Test samples of Iron/ABS and Copper/ABS composites involving metal content up to 40% by volume have been made by controlled centrifugal mixing, thermally compounded through a single-screw extruder and compression moulding. Dynamic Mechanical Analysis (DMA) techniques were used in order to characterize viscoelastic properties of these newly developed composites materials for use in Fused Deposition Modeling process. It has been shown that significant improvements of ABS thermal and mechanical properties due to incorporation of metallic fillers can potentially promote processing of high performance and functional prototypes on the existing FDM platform for a wide range of applications. Sample prototypes from the new composite materials have been successfully made and tested.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Faculty of Engineering and Industrial Sciences
- Materials & Design, Vol. 32, no. 6 (Jun 2011), pp. 3448-3456
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0912 Materials Engineering
- Composite-polymer matrix; Filaments; Fused Deposition Modeling; Mechanical properties
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2011 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
- Peer reviewed