Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles Do early maladaptive schemas mediate the relationship between childhood experiences and avoidant personality disorder features? A preliminary investigation in a non-clinical sample
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/188654
- Do early maladaptive schemas mediate the relationship between childhood experiences and avoidant personality disorder features? A preliminary investigation in a non-clinical sample
- Carr, Steven N.; Francis, Andrew J. P.
- The current study tested the hypothesis that early maladaptive schemas (EMSs) mediate the relationship between retrospectively reported childhood experiences and avoidant personality disorder (AVPD) symptoms. One hundred and seventy-eight non-clinical participants completed questionnaires measuring retrospectively reported childhood experiences, a measure of EMSs, and AVPD symptoms. Path analyses showed that the EMSs of subjugation, abandonment, and emotional inhibition fully mediated the relationship between retrospectively reported childhood experiences (specifically mother overprotection & family sociability) and AVPD symptoms. The abandonment and subjugation EMSs were found to fully mediate the relationship between family sociability and AVPD symptoms while the subjugation and emotional inhibition EMSs fully mediated the relationship between mother (but not father) overprotection and AVPD symptoms. Finally, retrospective reports of childhood maltreatment were found to be associated with all EMSs within the disconnection/rejection domain apart from the abandonment EMS although these EMSs did not significantly account for AVPD symptoms. These results are consistent with cognitive-behavioural formulations of personality disorders and this study is the first to show that EMSs mediate the relationship between childhood factors and AVPD features.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Journal of International Education and Business, Vol. 34, no. 4 (2010), pp. 343-358
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 1701 Psychology; 170106 Health, Clinical and Counselling Psychology; 1702 Cognitive Sciences
- Avoidant personality disorder; Childhood maltreatment; Cognitive-behavioural therapy; Early maladaptive schemas; Family environment; Personality disorder; Schema therapy
- Springer New York LLC
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2009 Springer Science+Business Media, LLC.
- Peer reviewed