Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles Environmental initiatives: an exploration of small and medium enterprise (SMEs) responses toward green technologies
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/189191
- Environmental initiatives: an exploration of small and medium enterprise (SMEs) responses toward green technologies
- Rasi, R.Z. Raja Mohd; Abdekhodaee, A.; Nagarajah, R.
- This paper is based on an empirical study of environmental initiatives implementation in the Malaysian Small and Medium Enterprises' (SMEs). The key focus of this study is to explore SMEs' environmental initiatives. Environmental initiatives as defined here can be classified into three major areas: green initiatives within internal organization system, such as setting environmental goal and waste audit, environmental or green manufacturing practices, and lastly, green design orientation. This study examines the level of environmental management initiative, ranging from reactive to proactive initiatives, using a survey from SMEs in electric and electronic industry. The data from 192 manufacturing firms have been collected and tested using SPSS. Our survey strongly suggests that SMEs have moved to develop an increasingly proactive environmental orientation. It also demonstrates the importance of further investigations on: (a) environmental management systems orientation, (b) extensive study on the primary stakeholder that could effectively guide and drive SMEs' environmental strategies, and (c) the contributory role of supply partners and the direct and indirect relationships between these systems and their performances.
- Publication type
- Conference paper
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Faculty of Engineering and Industrial Sciences
- Proceedings of 'Managing Finance and Risk in Global Supply Chain', the 2nd International Conference on Logistics and Transport (ICLT 2010) & the 1st International Conference on Business and Economics (ICBE 2010), Queenstown, New Zealand, 16-18 December 2010
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 050205 Environmental Management; 150314 Small Business Management
- Environmental practices; Small and medium sized enterprises; SMEs; Proactive initiatives; Reactive Initiatives
- UP Organizer and Publication Company
- 9789741113507, 9741113501
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2010.
- Peer reviewed