Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles Hydrodynamic boundary conditions and dynamic forces between bubbles and surfaces
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/190532
- Hydrodynamic boundary conditions and dynamic forces between bubbles and surfaces
- Manor, Ofer; Vakarelski, Ivan U.; Tang, Xiaosong; O'Shea, Sean J.; Stevens, Geoffrey W.; Grieser, Franz; Dagastine, Raymond R.; Chan, Derek Y. C.
- Dynamic forces between a 50 μm radius bubble driven towards and from a mica plate using an atomic force microscope in electrolyte and in surfactant exhibit different hydrodynamic boundary conditions at the bubble surface. In added surfactant, the forces are consistent with the no-slip boundary condition at the mica and bubble surfaces. With no surfactant, a new boundary condition that accounts for the transport of trace surface impurities explains variations of dynamic forces at different speeds and provides a direct connection between dynamic forces and surface transport effects at the air-water interface.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Physical Review Letters, Vol. 101, no. 2 (Jul 2008) Article no. 024501
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 02 Physical Sciences
- Bubble dynamics; Capillary and thermocapillary flows; Multiphase flows
- American Physical Society
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2011 The American Physical Society.
- Peer reviewed