Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/190597
- Drainage of the air-water-quartz film: experiments and theory
- Manica, Rogerio; Chan, Derek Y. C.
- Experimental results of the kinetics of drainage of the trapped water film between an approaching air bubble and a quartz plate have been analysed using recent theoretical advances in formulating and solving the flow problem in deformable films. Excellent agreement is obtained between experimental data and a model that assumes the bubble-water interface is tangentially immobile in its hydrodynamic response. The coupling between hydrodynamic pressure, disjoining pressure and film deformation is critical in determining the dynamic behaviour of the drainage process. The Reynolds parallel film model that omits the effects of film deformation predicts results that are qualitatively incorrect.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, Vol. 13, no. 4 (Jan 2011), pp. 1434-1439
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 02 Physical Sciences; 03 Chemical Sciences
- Bubble; Drainage; Reynolds parallel film model
- The Royal Society of Chemistry
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2011 Owner Societies.
- Peer reviewed