Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/190628
- Compact groups of galaxies found using the COSMOS Catalogue
- Barnes, D. G.; Drinkwater, M. J.
- We have developed an algorithm to search the COSMOS/UKST Southern Sky Object for compact groups of galaxies, with the aim of finding regions of high mass-to-light ratio. With this catalogue, and quantitative criteria, we select groups objectively and therefore hope to improve upon earlier visual searches. We use a density enhancement measure to define a compact group. We have made a preliminary search of 15 Schmidt fields (total area ∼ 390 deg2), finding 58 compact groups, ie. a mean density of 0.15 compact groups deg-2. In this paper we present finding charts and images of some of the compact groups found.
- Publication type
- Conference paper
- ASP Conference Series: proceedings of 'The Future Utilisation of Schmidt Telescopes', the International Astronomical Association Colloquium (IAUC 148), Bandung, Indonesia, 07-11 March 1994 / Jessica Chapman, Russell Cannon, Sandra Harrison, and Bambang Hidayat (eds.), Vol. 84, pp. 490-496
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0201 Astronomical and Space Sciences
- Compact groups; COSMOS Catalogue; Galaxies
- Astronomical Society of the Pacific
- 1050-3390 (series ISSN)
- 9781886733053, 1886733058
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2004 Astronomical Society of the Pacific.