Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/190639
- The Australian Virtual Observatory Project: 2003 and beyond
- Barnes, D. G.
- The Australian Virtual Observatory is funded in 2003 to bring a number of premiere Australian astronomy archives on-line and to begin prototyping virtual observatory tools and processing pipelines relevant to Australian astronomers. We are exploring the use of a commercial database to publish source catalogs such as HIPASS and SUMSS both with VOTable export capabilities. Meanwhile the catalog of quasars from the 2dF galaxy redshift survey will be published using the Canadian Virtual Observatory resources and the CSIRO is hosting a cross-divisional project to place the entire archive of observations with the AT Compact Array on-line with a sophisticated search interface honouring data providence and proprietary periods. In terms of virtual observatory tools a joint project is underway with AstroGrid to grid-enable an existing high-performance volume rendering application making it available to users without requiring special hardware or software and the ATNF is building on its expertise in visualisation to develop a Java-based interface to existing AIPS++ display tools.
- Publication type
- Conference paper
- Paper presented at 'Large Telescopes and Virtual Observatory: Visions for the Future', the 25th Meeting of the International Astronomical Union (IAU), Joint Discussion, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 08-17 July 2003, Vol. 8
- Publication year
- Astronomy archives; Australian Virtual Observatory
- Astronomical Society of the Pacific
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2003.