Home List of Titles Springback prediction for sheet metal forming process using a 3D hybrid membrane/shell method
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/191382
- Springback prediction for sheet metal forming process using a 3D hybrid membrane/shell method
- Yoon, Jeong-Whan; Pourboghrat, Farhang; Chung, Kwansoo; Yang, Dong-Yol
- To reduce the computational time of finite element analyses for sheet forming, a 3D hybrid membrane/shell method has been developed and applied to study the springback of anisotropic sheet metals. In the hybrid method, the bending strains and stresses were calculated as post-processing, considering the incremental change of the sheet geometry obtained from the membrane finite element analysis beforehand. To calculate the springback, a shell finite element model was used to unload the sheet. For verification purposes, the hybrid method was applied for a 2036-T4 aluminum alloy square blank formed into a cylindrical cup, in which stretching is dominant. Also, as a bending-dominant problem, unconstraint cylindrical bending of a 6111-T4 aluminum alloy sheet was considered. The predicted springback showed good agreement with experiments for both cases.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, Vol. 44, no. 10 (Oct 2002), pp. 2133-2153
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0102 Applied Mathematics; 0905 Civil Engineering; 0913 Mechanical Engineering
- Hybrid membrane/shell method; Plasticity; Sheet forming; Sheet metal; Shell elements; Springback
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2002 Elsevier Science Ltd. All rights reserved.
- Peer reviewed