Home List of Titles Effect of annealing temperature on the structural, photoluminescence and magnetic properties of sol-gel derived Magnetoplumbite-type (M-type) hexagonal strontium ferrite
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/191985
- Effect of annealing temperature on the structural, photoluminescence and magnetic properties of sol-gel derived Magnetoplumbite-type (M-type) hexagonal strontium ferrite
- Teh, Geok Bee; Wong, Yat Choy; Tilley, Richard D.
- Magnetoplumbite-type (M-type) hexagonal strontium ferrite particles were synthesized via sol–gel technique employing ethylene glycol as the gel precursor at two different calcination temperatures (800 and 1000 °C). Structural properties were systematically investigated via X-ray diffraction (XRD), field emission scanning electron microscopy, high resolution transmission electron microscopy (HRTEM), energy dispersive spectroscopy (EDS), thermogravimetric analysis (TGA), photoluminescence spectrophotometry and superconducting quantum interference device magnetometer. XRD results showed that the sample synthesized at 1000 °C was of single-phase with a space group of P63/mmc and lattice cell parameter values of a=5.882 Å and c=23.048 Å. EDS confirmed the composition of strontium ferrite calcined at 1000 °C being mainly of M-type SrFe12O19 with HRTEM micrographs confirming the ferrites exhibiting M-type long range ordering along the c-axis of the crystal structure. The photoluminescence (PL) property of strontium ferrite was examined at excitation wavelengths of 260 and 270 nm with significant PL emission peaks centered at 350 nm being detected. Strontium ferrite annealed at higher temperature (1000 °C) was found to have grown into larger particle size, having higher content of oxygen vacancies and exhibited 83–85% more intense PL. Both the as-prepared strontium ferrites exhibited significant oxygen vacancies defect structures, which were verified via TGA. Higher calcination temperature turned strontium ferrite into a softer ferrite.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Faculty of Engineering and Industrial Sciences
- Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Vol. 323, no. 17 (Sep 2011), pp. 2318-2322
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0204 Condensed Matter Physics
- Magnetic property; Magnetoplumbite-type; M-type; Photoluminescence; Sol-gel process; Strontium ferrite
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2011 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
- Peer reviewed