Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/192788
- Laser induced memory bits in photorefractive LiNbO3 and LiTaO3
- Juodkazis, Saulius; Mizeikis, Vygantas; Sudzius, Markas; Misawa, Hiroaki; Kitamura, Kenji; Takekawa, Shunji; Gamaly, Eugene G.; Krolikowski. Wieslaw Z.; Rod, Andrei V.
- We study experimentally the formation of refractive index voxels (volume elements) in photorefractive LiNbO3 and LiTaO3 crystals illuminated with high irradiance femtosecond laser pulses. We used 150 fs pulses at 800 nm wavelength (energy 6-50 nJ) tightly focused inside the crystals in a single shot regime. This resulted in a formation of a micrometer size region of elevated refractive index, which may be used as memory bits in information storage/retrieval application. The maximum refractive index change of 5 x 10-4 was recorded in undoped LiNbO3 at an average light intensity of ~TW/cm2 that is close to the breakdown threshold. A simple setup for photorefractive recording and in situ monitoring of the refractive index changes has been proposed.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Applied Physics A: Materials Science and Processing, Vol. 93, no. 1 (Oct 2008), pp. 129-133
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0204 Condensed Matter Physics
- Femtosecond pulses; Laser pulses; LiNbO3; LiTaO3; Memory bits; Photorefractive materials; Refractive index voxels
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © Springer-Verlag 2008.
- Additional information
- The authors acknowledge support from the Grant-in-Aid from the Ministry of Education, Science, Sports, and Culture of Japan No.19360322.
- Peer reviewed