Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/192860
|Download PDF (Accepted manuscript) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, 2 MB)|
- In-bulk and surface structuring of sapphire by femtosecond pulses
- Juodkazis, Saulius; Nishimura, Koichi; Misawa, Hiroaki
- The actual space-time dependent intensity distribution of a tightly focused (numerical aperture NA = 1.35) Gaussian femtosecond pulse is modeled inside dielectric material. Such focusing is typically used for recording with sub-wavelength resolution inside dielectrics. The multi-pulse structuring inside the bulk and on the surface of sapphire are demonstrated. Formation of nano-cracks and nano-crystals is revealed inside the crystalline sapphire. Ripple formation on the surface is discussed in terms of the efficacy map calculated by theory given in ref. [J.E. Sipe, J.F. Young, J.S. Preston, H.M. van Driel, Laser-induced periodic surface structure. I. Theory, Phys. Rev. B 27 (2) (1983) 1141-1154.].
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Applied Surface Science, Vol. 253, no. 15 (May 2007), pp. 6539-6544
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0204 Condensed Matter Physics; 0912 Materials Engineering
- Dielectric breakdown; Femtosecond laser micofabrication; Micro-explosion; Sapphire
- Elsevier B.V.
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2007 Elsevier B.V. The accepted manuscript is reproduced in accordance with the copyright policy of the publisher.
- Full text
- Peer reviewed