Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles Three-dimensional write-read-erase memory bits by femtosecond laser pulses in photorefractive LiNbO3 crystals
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/192838
- Three-dimensional write-read-erase memory bits by femtosecond laser pulses in photorefractive LiNbO3 crystals
- Gamaly, Eugene G.; Juodkazis, Saulius; Mizeikis, Vygantas; Misawa, Hiroaki; Rode, Andrei V.; Krolikowski, Wieslaw Z.; Kitamura, Kenji
- We report on a three-dimensional single-shot optical recording by 150 fs pulses at 800 nm wavelength in Fe-doped and stoichiometric undoped LiNbO3. The highest refractive index modulation of ∼10−3 per single pulse has been achieved at close to the dielectric breakdown irradiance of ∼TW/cm2, and was found to be independent of polarization of the writing beam. The quasi-permanent and rewritable bits have been demonstrated in Fe-doped LiNbO3. Recording in undoped stoichiometric LiNbO3 was of transient nature with full optical contrast recovery on a 0.1-1 s scale. The observed refractive index modulation is explainable by the photovoltaic effect in LiNbO3.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Current Applied Physics: proceedings of the Third International Conference on Advanced Materials and Nanotechnology (AMN-3), Wellington, New Zealand, 11-16 February 2007, Vol. 8, no. 3-4 (May 2008), pp. 416-419
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 01 Mathematical Sciences; 02 Physical Sciences
- Femtosecond laser microfabrication; Lithium niobate; Photovoltaic effect; Three-dimensional optical memory
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2007 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
- Peer reviewed