Home List of Titles Reliability testing of the FAMCARE-2 scale: measuring family carer satisfaction with palliative care
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/193267
- Reliability testing of the FAMCARE-2 scale: measuring family carer satisfaction with palliative care
- Aoun, Samar; Bird, Sonia; Kristjanson, Linda J.; Currow, David
- Measuring carers' perceived satisfaction with services is crucial if services are going to continually improve their responsiveness to the needs of those they serve. The aim of this study was to assess the reliability of the next generation FAMCARE tool, which was adapted to reflect inpatient and team-based care using palliative care services who are participating in the Australian Palliative Care Outcomes Collaboration. FAMCARE-2 was distributed to a consecutive cohort of carers whilst in the caregiving role nationally. Analyses of internal consistency, generated structure and relationships of satisfaction with service provision by three demographic variables were undertaken. A total of 497 carers were recruited from 29 palliative care services across Australia, a mix of inpatient and community services. The scale achieved a high level of internal consistency (Cronbach's alpha coefficient of 0.93) and item-to-total correlation coefficient of 0.49-0.72. Factor analysis of FAMCARE-2 revealed a 4-factor structure (management of physical symptoms and comfort, provision of information, family support and patient psychological care). Results of the survey indicated satisfaction with service provision across the FAMCARE-2 subscales. Older, female carers without a culturally and linguistically diverse background were more satisfied with service provision. We conclude that FAMCARE-2 is a psychometrically sound instrument useful for measuring family carer satisfaction with service provision in a variety of palliative care settings.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Palliative Medicine, Vol. 24, no. 7 (Oct 2010), pp. 674-681
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 1117 Public Health and Health Services
- Caregiver satisfaction; Palliative care; FAMCARE-2; PCOC
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2010 The Author(s).
- Peer reviewed