Home List of Titles Analysis of core shear stress in welded deformable sandwich plates to prevent de-bonding failure during U-bending
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/196912
- Analysis of core shear stress in welded deformable sandwich plates to prevent de-bonding failure during U-bending
- Seong, D. Y.; Jung, C. G.; Yang, D. Y.; Ahn, J.; Na, S. J.; Chung, W. J.; Kim, J. H.
- In this work, a multi-point resistance welding process was employed as a bonding mechanism for deformable sandwich plates with sheared dimple cores to improve productivity. During U-bending, a de-bonding failure occurred due to the shear deformation of the core. An analytic study that investigated the bending mechanism was carried out to determine the control parameter of core shear stress. The analytic estimation revealed that the shear stress of the core could be reduced drastically by increasing the clearance. In addition, from the analysis of the de-bonding failure, the de-bonding behavior with respect to clearance could be effectively predicted. The fabricated sandwich plates could be bent without failure when the clearance was larger than the thickness of the sandwich plate by three times.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 210, no. 9 (Jun 2010), pp. 1171-1179
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0913 Mechanical Engineering
- Bending (deformation); Bending mechanism; Bonding behavior; Bonding failure; Bonding mechanism; Control parameters; Control system analysis; Core shear; De-bonding failure; Electric welding; Point resistance; Productivity; Quality assurance; Sandwich plates; Shear stress; Shear stress of the core; Strength of materials; U-bending; Welding process
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2010 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
- Peer reviewed