Home List of Titles Effective area limit of large-mode-area solid-core photonic bandgap fibers for fiber laser applications
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/197738
- Effective area limit of large-mode-area solid-core photonic bandgap fibers for fiber laser applications
- Saitoh, Kunimasa; Murao, Tadashi; Rosa, Lorenzo; Koshiba, Masanori
- We investigate the bending characteristics of solid-core photonic bandgap fibers (SC-PBGFs) aiming to achieve large mode area (LMA) and effectively single-mode operation with a practically allowable bending radius for high-power Yb-doped fiber lasers and amplifiers. Through detailed numerical simulations based on the finite element method (FEM), we evaluate the impacts of the order of photonic bandgap on the bending performance and point out the limits of core size enlargement in the SC-PBGFs with a 1-cell core structure due to the increment of bending loss. In addition, under practical constraints, we find that the SC-PBGFs having a 7-cell core can achieve sufficient differential bending loss between the fundamental mode and the higher-order modes and a much larger effective area limit as compared with previously-reported index-guiding LMA fibers.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Optical Fiber Technology, Vol. 16, no. 6 (Dec 2010), pp. 409-418
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0205 Optical Physics
- Bending loss; Crystal whiskers; Effectively single mode; Energy gap; Fiber amplifiers; Fiber laser; Fiber optic components; Fibers; Finite element method; Large mode area; Laser applications; Microstructured fibers; Photonic bandgap fibers; Photonic crystal fiber; Photonic crystals; Single mode; Single mode fibers; Spontaneous emission; Ytterbium
- Academic Press
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2010 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
- Peer reviewed