Home List of Titles The effect of dielectric spacer layer thickness on surface plasmon enhanced solar cells for front and rear side depositions
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/197973
|Download PDF (Published version) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, 2 MB)|
- The effect of dielectric spacer layer thickness on surface plasmon enhanced solar cells for front and rear side depositions
- Pillai, S.; Beck, F. J.; Catchpole, K. R.; Ouyang, Z.; Green, M. A.
- The excitation of surface plasmons on metallic nanoparticles has the potential to significantly improve the performance of solar cells, in particular thin-film structures. In this article, we investigate the effect of the dielectric spacer layer thickness on the photocurrent enhancement of 2 μm thick, thin-film poly-Si on glass solar cells, due to random arrays of self assembled Ag nanoparticles deposited on the front or the rear of the cells. We report a strong asymmetry in the external quantum efficiency (EQE) of the cell for front and rear located particles for different spacer thicknesses, which is attributed to differences in the scattering behavior of the nanoparticles. We find that for random arrays, with spectrally broad scattering resonances, the strength of the driving field and the coupling efficiency are more important for light trapping than the resonance wavelength. For particles located on the front of the cells it is desirable to have a thin dielectric spacer layer to enhance the scattering from the Ag nanoparticles. Additionally, light trapping provided by the random sized particles on the front can overcome suppression of light transmitted in the visible wavelength regions for thin layers of Si, to result in overall EQE enhancements. However, for particles deposited on the rear it is more beneficial to have the particles as close to the Si substrate as possible to increase both the scattering and the coupling efficiency.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 109, no. 7 (Apr 2011), article no. 073105
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 01 Mathematical Sciences; 02 Physical Sciences; 09 Engineering
- Depositions; Dielectric spacer layer; Solar cells; Surface plasmons; Thin films
- American Institute of Physics
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2011 American Institute of Physics. Published version reproduced here with the kind permission of the publisher.
- Full text
- Peer reviewed