Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles Lessons from the Promoting Excellence Initiative project: the influence of context
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/198743
- Lessons from the Promoting Excellence Initiative project: the influence of context
- Brooker, Miriam; Cummings, Rick; Nagy, Judy; Smeal, Georgia; Mazzolini, Margaret; Devlin, Marcia
- The ALTC has funded the 'Lessons learned from the PEI project' to investigate its Promoting Excellence Initiative [PEI] (which allocated $9m to 42 institutions), with a focus on the leadership strengths developed and the lessons learnt within the university-based projects. The overall purpose of this project is to highlight the leadership challenges faced by PEI project leaders and champions. This showcase highlights institutional perspectives about the extent to which initiatives have promoted engagement with learning and teaching excellence within their own institutions, as distilled from institutional reports submitted to the ALTC. As the first stage in the larger project, a cross-section of 18 of the 34 available PEI Final Reports (53%) as well as the 13 corresponding PEI Evaluation Reports from higher education institutions was analysed. An analytical framework incorporating institutional contexts, the institutional structures, leadership approaches, and institutional outcomes was utilised to code the common themes and unique outcomes within NVivo9 software. Based on the evidence provided in the PEI project and evaluation reports, it was apparent that universities supported their PEI in a variety of ways, and subsequently reported positive impacts in the following key areas: improved dissemination, heightened scholarship of teaching, and, increased alignment between institutional grants and awards and ALTC grants and awards. The findings contain many lessons learned about what approaches and leadership qualities were most commonly effective in furthering learning and teaching within the higher education sector in Australia.
- Publication type
- Conference paper
- Paper presented at 'Higher education on the edge', the Higher Education Research and Development Society of Australasia Conference (HERDSA 2011), Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia, 04-07 July 2011
- Publication year
- Higher education; Leadership qualities; Learning; Promoting Excellence Initiative; Teaching
- Higher Education Research and Development Society of Australasia
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2011.
- Peer reviewed