Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles Assessing developments in the regulatory environments for nonprofit organizations in Japan and England and Wales
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/203975
- Assessing developments in the regulatory environments for nonprofit organizations in Japan and England and Wales
- Laratta, Rosario; Mason, Chris
- This paper assesses the regulatory environments for non-profit organizations (NPOs) in Japan and England & Wales (E&W), offering insights into the differences in legislative support for NPO development in both countries. Following a review of recent NPO regulatory developments in Japan and E&W, we outline the major contemporary issues affecting NPOs and focus on the key challenges of: legislative reform, systems of regulation, accountability and third/public sector partnerships. The paper contributes to knowledge by highlighting the disparities in support for NPOs that are culturally-bounded. Also, we contribute to contemporary debate on the ability for NPOs to manage amidst a global climate of change and the possible return to the so-called 'age of austerity'.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- International Journal of Civil Society Law, Vol. 8, no. 4 (Oct 2010), pp. 48-68
- Publication year
- Japan; Legislation; Non-profit organisations; NPOs; United Kingdom
- Catholic University of America
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2010 IJCSL and the authors.