Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles Determination of phenylenediamine isomers in hair dyes by coal cinders micro-column extraction and MEKC
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/205392
- Determination of phenylenediamine isomers in hair dyes by coal cinders micro-column extraction and MEKC
- Wu, Yiwei; Jiang, Feng; Chen, Lin; Zheng, Jing; Deng, Zhenli; Tao, Qing; Zhang, Jing; Han, Lijuan; Wei, Xiaoshu; Yu, Aimin; Zhang, Haili
- A new micellar electrokinetic chromatography (MEKC) method using beta-cyclodextrins ( -CDs) and 1-butyl-3-methylimidazolium hexafluorophosphates (ionic liquids) as additives was successfully developed for determination of para-, meta-, and ortho-phenylenediamines isomers (p-P, m-P, and o-P) in hair dyes. To improve the sensitivity of the MEKC-UV, a simple and cheap flow injection (FI) technique using a micro-column packed with coal cinders (the by-products from combustion in a boiler) as solid-phase extractant was also investigated. In the presence of 20 mmol L(-1) phosphates at pH 5.5, addition of 12 mmol L(-1) ionic liquids and 8 mmol L(-1) -CDs greatly improved the separation efficiency. The three analytes could be quantitatively adsorbed by coal cinders, and desorbed readily with 0.15 mL of 0.01 mol L(-1) NaOH. Under the optimum conditions, an enrichment factor (EF) of 33.3 was obtained, and determination limits of p-P, m-P, and o-P were 1.9710(-7), 0.9910(-7), and 0.6110(-7) mol L(-1), respectively. The adsorption capacities of the coal cinders micro-column for p-P, m-P, and o-P were all 1.20 mg g(-1). The presented procedure was successfully applied to the determination of p-P, m-P, and o-P in hair dyes with satisfactory results.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, Vol. 400, no. 7 (2011), pp. 2141-2147
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0301 Analytical Chemistry; 0399 Other Chemical Sciences; 0601 Biochemistry and Cell Biology
- Coal cinders micro-column extraction; Hair dye; MEKC; Phenylenediamine isomers
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2011 Springer-Verlag.
- Peer reviewed