Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/208133
- Postgraduate research students: you are the future of the Academy
- Blass, Eddie; Jasman, Anne; Shelley, Steve
- This paper explores the changing role of the university developed and changed over time, and how this is likely to change further in the next 25 years. By drawing on scenarios for the future of the HE sector in the UK in 2035, the article argues that postgraduate research students will be the key factor that sustains the future of the Academy as universities focus more and more attention on the teaching of ever increasing numbers of undergraduate students. The paper highlights the danger of a divide occurring between the idea of the university and the notion of the Academy in the future, and the essential role that research students will play in ensuring this divide remains bridged. The article argues that it is imperative for universities to expand their postgraduate research degree provision if the Academy is to continue in the future as the foundation to knowledge creation.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology
- Futures, Vol. 44, no. 2 (Mar 2012), pp. 166-173
- Publication year
- Academia; Higher education; Postgraduate students; Research; United Kingdom; Universities
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2011 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
- Peer reviewed