Home List of Titles Doppler-free two-photon resonances for atom detection and sum frequency stabilization
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/208445
- Doppler-free two-photon resonances for atom detection and sum frequency stabilization
- Akulshin, A. M.; Hall, B. V.; Ivannikov, V.; Orel, A. A.; Sidorov, A. I.
- We investigate the excitation of the 5D5/2 level in Rb atoms using counter-propagating laser beams, which are nearly resonant to the one-photon 5S1/2 → 5P3/2 and 5P3/2 → 5D5/2 transitions, ensuring that a sum of the optical frequencies corresponds to the 5S1/2 → 5D5/2 transition. The excitation produced by two-photon and stepwise processes is detected via spontaneously emitted fluorescence at 420 nm arising from the 6P3/2 → 5S1/2 transition. The dependences of blue fluorescence intensity on atomic density and laser detuning from the intermediate 5P3/2 level have been investigated. The sensitivity of the frequency-detuned bi-chromatic scheme for atom detection has been estimated. A novel method for sum-frequency stabilization of two free-running lasers has been suggested and implemented using two-photon Doppler-free fluorescence and polarization resonances.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Faculty of Engineering and Industrial Sciences. Centre for Atom Optics and Ultrafast Spectroscopy
- Journal of Physics B: Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics, Vol. 44, no. 21 (Nov 2011), article no. 215401
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0202 Atomic, Molecular, Nuclear, Particle and Plasma Physics; 0205 Optical Physics; 0307 Theoretical and Computational Chemistry
- Atoms; Doppler-free fluorescence; Resonances; Sum-frequency stabilization; Two-photon excitation
- Institute of Physics Publishing
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2011 IOP Publishing Ltd.
- Peer reviewed