Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/208470
|Download PDF (Accepted manuscript) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, 1 MB)|
- An approach to model-based development of context-aware adaptive systems
- Hussein, Mahmoud; Han, Jun; Colman, Alan
- Many software systems need to be developed with adaptation in mind, where at runtime they need to detect changes in their operating environments and adapt themselves to cope with these changes while achieving or preserving the overall system goals. In recent years, there has been much research in the communities of context-aware systems and selfadaptive systems with their own foci. However, addressing context awareness and self-adaptation in a consistent and integrated manner remains a major challenge. In this paper, we introduce a novel approach to modeling and realizing such context-aware adaptive software systems. Our approach explicitly separates but relates the context model and the system model, so that their relationships, changes, and change impacts across the system and its contexts can be clearly captured and managed. In particular, we differentiate management context from operational context as to whether or not context changes cause system adaptation. To enable runtime changes to the system, its contexts, and their relationships, they all have their runtime representation, so that they can be manipulated and managed at runtime. Our component model for realizing the approach directly supports component interface definitions for context and management as well as functionality. Furthermore, we have developed a tool to generate the system implementations from their models and to validate and verify their context-aware adaptive behavior. We demonstrate our approach through the modeling and realization of a context-aware vehicle route planning system.
- Publication type
- Conference paper
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Faculty of Information and Communication Technologies
- Proceedings of the 35th Annual IEEE International Computer Software and Applications Conference (COMPSAC 2011), Munich, Germany, 18-21 July 2011, pp. 205-214
- Publication year
- Context awareness; Context modeling; Model driven development; Runtime models; Self-adaptation; System modeling
- 0730-3157 (series ISSN)
- 9780769544397, 0769544398
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2011 IEEE. The accepted manuscript of the paper is reproduced here in accordance with the copyright policy of the publisher. Personal use of this material is permitted. However, permission to reprint/republish this material for advertising or promotional purposes or for creating new collective works for resale or redistribution to servers or lists, or to reuse any copyrighted component of this work in other works must be obtained from the IEEE.
- Additional information
- The authors acknowledge support from Australia's Cooperative Research Centre for Advanced Automotive Technology (AutoCRC).
- Full text
- Peer reviewed