Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/2504
|Download PDF (Published version) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, 1 MB)|
- Agent-based approach towards ontology refinement in virtual enterprises
- Li, Li; Yang, Yun; Wu, Baolin
- The vision of ontology research has recently drawn considerable attention, both from academia and industry. One of the essential research issues with ontology is how to describe changes during its evolving cycle, especially in virtual enterprises which exist as a temporary network o€ geographically distributed partners that assemble to achieve a goal. Ontology refinement is a crucial component in ontology evolution. Description logics are very useful for defining and maintaining ontologies, including ontology consistency checking. In this paper, a taxonomy is adopted to describe ontologies with an intuitive ontology definition formula. Based on the ontology definition, a novel agent-based approach is presented which deals with ontology refinement at run-time in virtual enterprises. We demonstrate the method with a running example by using the JADE platform.
- Publication type
- Conference paper
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Faculty of Information and Communication Technologies
- Proceedings of the 2005 International Conference on Active Media Technology, Takamatsu, Kagawa, Japan, 19-21 May 2005, pp. 250-255
- Publication year
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2005 IEEE. The published version is reproduced in accordance with the copyright policy of the publisher. Personal use of this material is permitted. However, permission to reprint/republish this material for advertising or promotional purposes or for creating new collective works for resale or redistribution to servers or lists, or to reuse any copyrighted component of this work in other works must be obtained from the IEEE.
- Full text
- Peer reviewed