Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles Continuing professional development: work and learning integration for professionals
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/209040
- Continuing professional development: work and learning integration for professionals
- Murphy, Gerald A.; Calway, Bruce A.
- Organisations promote their services by stressing that their professional staff are members of the relevant professional association and by listing the certifications/credentials they hold. Practice alone is generally insufficient to ensure knowledge is effective and up to date. Continuing professional development (CPD) is a requirement for professionals to develop knowledge to enable them to competently and adequately provide services to clients or employers. Professionals work in environments where technical, legal, conceptual and/or social change mandates that processes, practices, knowledge and understanding need to evolve. Individual professionals, professional associations, and the employers of professionals may have differing objectives for CPD and have vested interests to ensure that CPD is designed to, and meets actual objectives. Integrating work with learning is fundamental, i.e. if learning is not seen as having practical application, it is not valued. The knowledge development of professionals can be enhanced through Work-Integrated Learning which takes into account that they: hold a body of knowledge, are adults, and operate in positions in which learning and work can be related. Informal learning, in particular communities of practice, is significant in the transfer of learning to professionals.
- Publication type
- Book chapter
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology
- Work-integrated learning in engineering, built environment and technology / Patrick Keleher, Arun S. Patil, and R. E. Harreveld (eds.)
- Publication year
- Communities of practice; Continuing professional development; Informal learning; Knowledge development; Professional development; Work-integrated learning
- IGI Global
- 9781609605476, 1609605470
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2011 IGI Global.
- Peer reviewed