Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles Hybrid convergence: mixed and augmented reality arts (MARart) research scoping forum
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/210263
- Hybrid convergence: mixed and augmented reality arts (MARart) research scoping forum
- Torpus, Jan; Debackere, Boris; Melles, Gavin
- This panel seeks to develop dialogue in regards to higher end research methods for this increasingly important field of cultural inquiry and representation. The panel will discuss the emerging field of mixed and augmented reality based art (MARart), looking at collaborative transdisciplinary research methodologies. The panel will discuss strategies for collaborative hybrid research practice in an open platform that will scope current trends and successful models from a variety of approaches. Transdisciplinary practice in MAR has brought about the need for new research paradigms that address issues that include the economic reality of funding, commercialization and intellectual property, particularly in regards to open source development communities. The panel will also address the issue of documentation and archiving techniques for MARart. Qualitative research is already problematic in gathering data from and in regards to cultural discourse, and the archiving of real time ephemeral engagement is particularly important. Most archiving models exists as static artifacts that fail to articulate any experiential aspects to project outcomes such as immersion, embodiment, disembodiment, social/political impact and emotive response to name a few examples. The panel will cite examples of novel archiving models from other genres of media art in order to collaboratively propose best practice techniques in an open forum of audience participation.
- Publication type
- Seminar, speech or other presentation
- Presented at the 10th IEEE International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality (ISMAR 2011), Basel, Switzerland, 26-29 October 2011
- Publication year
- Augmented reality; MARart; Mixed and augmented reality based art; Mixed reality
- Institute for Research in Art and Design, Academy of Art and Design, University of Applied Sciences Northwestern Switzerland
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2011.