Home List of Titles Performance prediction models for turning with rounded corner plane faced lathe tools I: theoretical development
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/210585
- Performance prediction models for turning with rounded corner plane faced lathe tools I: theoretical development
- Armarego, E. J. A.; Samaranayake, P.
- In this paper the need for reliable quantitative machining performance information for efficient and effective use of machining operations is discussed, as are the recent developments of predictive models for forces and power in practical machining operations based on the `unified mechanics of cutting approach'. This investigation is aimed at extending this mechanics of cutting approach to turning with rounded corner plane faced lathe tools. Three predictive models for the forces, power and chip flow angle based on the `unified mechanics of cutting approach' have been developed while the surface roughness models have been based on the feed marks generated on the machined surface allowing for the precise tool corner profile. The first force model is based on the modified mechanics of cutting analyses for single edge tools while the two alternative models are based on the generalized mechanics of cutting analyses for single edge and multi-edge form tools for the turning cut as a whole. The predictive force models incorporate the effects of the major tool geometrical variables including the corner radius, the cutting conditions as well as the effect of TiN coating. This first paper will outline the development of the models while the proposed models will be numerically tested and experimentally verified qualitatively and quantitatively in the subsequent parts of this investigation.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Industrial Research Institute Swinburne
- Machining Science and Technology, Vol. 3, no. 2 (1999), pp. 143-172
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0910 Manufacturing Engineering
- Ceramic coatings; Lathes; Mathematical models; Mechanics; Rounded corner plane faced lathe tools; Titanium nitride; Turning
- Marcel Dekker
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 1999 by Marcel Dekker, Inc.
- Peer reviewed