Home List of Titles Incompatibility of macroscopic local realism with quantum mechanics in measurements with macroscopic uncertainties
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/212303
- Incompatibility of macroscopic local realism with quantum mechanics in measurements with macroscopic uncertainties
- Reid, M. D.
- We show that quantum mechanics predicts a contradiction with local hidden variable theories for photon number measurements which have limited resolving power, to the point of imposing an uncertainty in the photon number result which is macroscopic in absolute terms. We show how this can be interpreted as a failure of a new premise, macroscopic local realism.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Physical Review Letters, Vol. 84, no. 13 (Mar 2000), pp. 2765-2769
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 02 Physical Sciences
- Bessel functions; Gaussian noise (electronic); Macroscopic uncertainties; Mathematical transformations; Noise distribution functions; Optical beam splitters; Oscillators (electronic); Phase shift; Photon numbers; Photons; Probability; Quantum theory; Schwinger spin operators
- American Physical Society
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2000 The American Physical Society.
- Peer reviewed