Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/213286
|Download PDF (Published version) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, -1 bytes)|
- Anti-bacterial property of Cold-Sprayed ZnO-Al Coating
- Sanpo, Noppakun; Saraswati, Tan Ming Lu; Cheang, Philip
- The antibacterial behaviour of ZnO nanopowder and their composite coatings were investigated against E. Coli. ZnO nanopowder and Aluminum based ZnO composite powders were synthesized using in-house powder processing techniques. Bacteria culture results showed that ZnO nanopowder and their composite powders displayed excellent bacteriostatic activity against E. coli. The antibacterial activity increased with increasing concentration of ZnO nanoparticle in their composite powders as well as increasing surface area of compacted pellets. These nanocomposite powders were subsequently used to generate antibacterial coatings using cold spray technology. The ratio of Al to ZnO in their composite powders were 80:20, 50:50 and 20:80 (wt.%). Microstructural characterization and phase analysis of feedstock powders and as-deposited coatings were carried out using FESEM/EDX and XRD. Antibacterial nanocomposite Al-ZnO coatings were successfully deposited using cold spraying parameters of 15 Bars at air temperature of between 200-300 degrees C. These assprayed coatings of Al-ZnO composite powders with varying Al and ZnO ratios retained their inherent antibacterial property as verified from bacterial counting test. The results indicated that the antibacterial activity increased with increasing ZnO nanopowder concentration in the composite powder feedstock and cold sprayed coating.
- Publication type
- Conference paper
- Proceeding of the International Conference on Biomedical Engineering and Informatics (BMEI 2008), Sanya, Hainan, China, 27-30 May 2008, Vol. 1, pp. 488-491
- Publication year
- Aluminum based ZnO; Al-ZnO coatings; Antibacterial behaviour; Composite coatings; Nanocomposite powders; Zinc oxide; ZnO nanopowder
- 9780769531182, 0769531180
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2008 IEEE. The published version is reproduced in accordance with the copyright policy of the publisher. Personal use of this material is permitted. However, permission to reprint/republish this material for advertising or promotional purposes or for creating new collective works for resale or redistribution to servers or lists, or to reuse any copyrighted component of this work in other works must be obtained from the IEEE.
- Full text
- Peer reviewed