Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/216996
- The psychology of consumption
- Kyrios, Michael
- Reversing and preventing patterns of unsustainable consumption will be a major challenge of the 21st century, particularly as population growth and economic development in emerging economies advance. It is the contention of this chapter that it is not possible to develop an inclusive understanding of the problems of overconsumption without an account of individual, psychological and behavioural influences on excessive buying, in addition to considering sociocultural and economic context and factors that influence buying patterns.
- Publication type
- Book chapter
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology. Faculty of Life and Social Sciences. Brain and Psychological Sciences Research Centre
- Urban consumption / Peter W. Newton (ed.), Chapter 7, pp. 93-104
- Publication year
- Compulsive buying; Consumerism; Consumer behaviour; Debt; Excessive buying; Purchasing behaviour; Unsustainable consumption
- CSIRO Publishing
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © Peter W. Newton 2011. All rights reserved.
- Peer reviewed