Search Swinburne Research Bank
Home List of Titles Profcasting: a pilot study and guidelines for integrating podcasts in a blended learning environment
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/218078
|Download PDF (Published version) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, 92 KB)|
- Profcasting: a pilot study and guidelines for integrating podcasts in a blended learning environment
- Edirisingha, Palitha; Salmon, Gilly; Fothergill, John C.
- Podcasting is a new technology filtering into education from its original uses in entertainment, journalism and personal broadcasting. Students' learning supported by specially produced podcasts, which we call 'profcasts', differs from their learning through structured campus or other e-learning processes. This chapter describes a recent pilot study of integrating weekly profcasts in a blended learning environment at a UK University and suggests guidelines for profcasting in such a setting. Following a literature review on the use of audio technologies in education and, more recently mobile learning technologies, the chapter introduces the pilot study and its results. It discusses the findings in relation to two main questions: How does students' learning supported by podcasting differ from their learning through structured campus or e-learning processes? What are the issues in relation to switching from using MP3 players for entertainment to learning? The chapter proposes guidelines for integrating profcasts within a blended learning environment, for testing with larger numbers of staff, students and disciplines. Finally, it sketches further research on podcasts for learning being carried out under the IMPALA (Informal Mobile Podcasting And Learning Adaptation) project based at the University of Leicester.
- Publication type
- Book chapter
- Studien und Berichte der Arbeitsstelle Fernstudienforschung der Carl von Ossietzky Universitaet Oldenburg: Research on competence development in online distance education and e-learning: selected papers from the 4th EDEN Research Workshop in Castelldefels, Spain, 25-28 October 2006 / Ulrich Bernath and Albert Sangra (eds.), Vol. 13, 127-137
- Publication year
- Audio technologies; Distance learning; E-learning; Flexible delivery modes; Mobile learning technologies; MP3 players; Pilot studies; Podcasts; Profcasts
- BIS-Verlag der Carl von Ossietzky Universitaet
- 9783814220772, 3814220773
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2007 Carl von Ossietzky University of Oldenburg, Center for Lifelong Learning (C3L). This work is licensed for reuse under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution licence (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/). The published version is reproduced in accordance with this policy.
- Full text
- Peer reviewed