Search Swinburne Research Bank
This object has not yet been indexed by the background indexing service.
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/218266
|Download PDF (Published version) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, 565 KB)|
- Antibacterial property of cold-sprayed HA-Ag/PEEK coating
- Sanpo, Noppakun; Tan, Meng Lu; Cheang, Philip; Khor, K. A.
- The antibacterial behavior of HA-Ag (silver-doped hydroxyapatite) nanopowder and their composite coatings were investigated against Escherichia coli (DH5α). HA-Ag nanopowder and PEEK (poly-ether-ether-ketone)-based HA-Ag composite powders were synthesized using in-house powder processing techniques. Bacteria culture assay of HA-Ag nanopowder and their composite powders displayed excellent bacteriostatic activity against E. coli. The antibacterial activity increased with increasing concentration of HA-Ag nanoparticle in these composite powders. These nanocomposite powders were subsequently used as feedstock to generate antibacterial coatings via cold spray technology. The ratios of HA-Ag to PEEK in their composite powders were 80:20, 60:40, 40:60, and 20:80 (wt.%). Microstructural characterization and phase analysis of feedstock powders and as-deposited coatings were carried out using FESEM/EDX and XRD. Antibacterial nanocomposite HA-Ag/ PEEK coatings were successfully deposited using cold spraying parameters of 11-12 bars at preheated air temperature between 150 and 160 °C. These as-sprayed coatings of HA-Ag/PEEK composite powders comprising varying HA-Ag and PEEK ratios retained their inherent antibacterial property as verified from bacterial assay. The results indicated that the antibacterial activity increased with increasing HA-Ag nanopowder concentration in the composite powder feedstock and cold-sprayed coating.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Journal of Thermal Spray Technology, Vol. 18, no. 1 (Mar 2009), pp. 10-15
- Publication year
- ASM International
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © ASM International 2008. The published version is reproduced in accordance with the copyright policy of the journal.