Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/218266
|Download PDF (Published version) (Adobe Acrobat PDF, 565 KB)|
- Antibacterial property of cold-sprayed HA-Ag/PEEK coating
- Sanpo, Noppakun; Tan, Meng Lu; Cheang, Philip; Khor, K. A.
- The antibacterial behavior of HA-Ag (silver-doped hydroxyapatite) nanopowder and their composite coatings were investigated against Escherichia coli (DH5α). HA-Ag nanopowder and PEEK (poly-ether-ether-ketone)-based HA-Ag composite powders were synthesized using in-house powder processing techniques. Bacteria culture assay of HA-Ag nanopowder and their composite powders displayed excellent bacteriostatic activity against E. coli. The antibacterial activity increased with increasing concentration of HA-Ag nanoparticle in these composite powders. These nanocomposite powders were subsequently used as feedstock to generate antibacterial coatings via cold spray technology. The ratios of HA-Ag to PEEK in their composite powders were 80:20, 60:40, 40:60, and 20:80 (wt.%). Microstructural characterization and phase analysis of feedstock powders and as-deposited coatings were carried out using FESEM/EDX and XRD. Antibacterial nanocomposite HA-Ag/ PEEK coatings were successfully deposited using cold spraying parameters of 11-12 bars at preheated air temperature between 150 and 160 °C. These as-sprayed coatings of HA-Ag/PEEK composite powders comprising varying HA-Ag and PEEK ratios retained their inherent antibacterial property as verified from bacterial assay. The results indicated that the antibacterial activity increased with increasing HA-Ag nanopowder concentration in the composite powder feedstock and cold-sprayed coating.
- Publication type
- Journal article
- Journal of Thermal Spray Technology, Vol. 18, no. 1 (Mar 2009), pp. 10-15
- Publication year
- FOR Code(s)
- 0912 Materials Engineering; 0913 Mechanical Engineering
- Ag nanoparticles; Anti-bacterial activities; Anti-bacterial behaviors; Anti-Bbcterial properties; Antibacterial coatings; Bacteriology; Bacteriostatic; Biological materials; Biomaterials; Carbon fiber reinforced plastics; Characterisation of HA biomaterial; Coatings; Cold gas dynamic spraying of nanopowders; Cold spray technologies; Cold spraying; Cold-sprayed coatings; Composite coatings; Composite powders; Deposited coatings; E coli; Electrodeposition; Escherichia coli; Ethers; Feedstock powders; Feedstocks; Gas dynamics; Hydroxyapatite; Hydroxylation; Ketones; Micro-structural characterisations; Nanocomposite powders; Nanocomposites; Nanopowders; Nanostructured materials; Organic compounds; Pesticides; Phase analysis; Poly ether ether ketones; Powder processing techniques; Powders; Preheated airs; Silver; Spray deposition; Sprayed coatings; Thermal spraying; XRD
- ASM International
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © ASM International 2008. The published version is reproduced in accordance with the copyright policy of the journal.
- Full text
- Peer reviewed