Search Swinburne Research Bank
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/218401
- Jose Ramos-Horta out of East Timor election
- Aly, Waleed; Leach, Michael
- Over the weekend, voters in East Timor went to the polls to choose a president, and though final results won't be released until tomorrow, the incumbent Dr Jose Ramos Horta has already conceded his loss. With 70 per cent of the vote counted, Dr Ramos-Horta was far behind his two leading challengers, who'll now face off in a run-off poll next month. Dr Ramos-Horta is a Nobel Peace Prize laureate and a former freedom fighter - he's served as prime minister and president - his figure looms large East Timor's fight for independence and development as a fledgling democracy - how will his departure from national politics affect the stability of one of the world's youngest countries?
- Publication type
- Media interview
- Research centre
- Swinburne University of Technology
- 'RN Drive', presented by Waleed Aly, 19 March 2012
- Publication year
- East Timor; Elections; Politics; Presidential elections; Ramos-Horta, Jose
- Australian Broadcasting Corporation
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 2012.