Home List of Titles On the line: developing conferencing within a distance learning management education context
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/218917
- On the line: developing conferencing within a distance learning management education context
- Salmon, Gilly
- The Open University Business School is concerned with the professional development of managers up to and including Master of Business Administration (MBA) level over much of Western Europe and increasingly in other parts of the world, through multi-media, supported distance learning. Many commentators are arguing currently that technology provides all educators with a challenge and an opportunity as we move into the next Century. Macfarlane argues that the challenge is to "construct & deploy highly supportive environments" ..providing " self-paced tutor supported learning" . The challenge is to change the ways we aid the learning process to increase individual support, collaborative environments and provide more flexibility - to explore, where we do want to change our ways, where we do not, what we can do better than ever, what we can do that was not possible before - in terms of learning & teaching. New Communication Technologies (NCTs) present particular opportunities to distance education institutions such as UK Open University Business School (OUBS). Individuals do not need to be logged on at the same time, there is freedom from spatio-temporal limitations, there are opportunities for reflective or spontaneous interaction, increased contact between individuals , more control of communications for students, more communicating in writing One important application of NCTs is Computer Mediated Conferencing (CMC). In this paper we address in particular the training and development of Distance Learning teachers faced for the first time with the need to use Computer Mediated Communication (CMC) for teaching purposes, taking Metz's wide definition of CMC as "any communication patterns mediated through the computer" p31.
- Publication type
- Conference paper
- Paper presented at the Online Educa Asia International Conference on Technology Supported Learning, Singapore, 01-03 September 1997
- Publication year
- CMC; Computer-mediated conferencing; Conferencing; Distance education; Distance learning; E-learning; Elearning; Executive education; ICTs; Information and communication technologies; Management education; Open learning; Open University Business School
- International WHERE + HOW
- Publisher URL
- Copyright © 1997.
- Peer reviewed